“Beans! Beans! They’re good for your heart! Every time you shop put them in your cart!”
Not only are beans FREE for owners in August* but they are a healthy component of a variety of recipes. We put together some scrumptious meal ideas so you can put your owner giveaway (or pantry essentials) to good use.
Try out these recipes below, made with Co-op ingredients!
Vegetarian Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Meatballs
1 can Essential Everyday Navy Beans, drained, rinsed, dried
1/3 C. Basil, loosely packed
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 T. Oregano
1/3 C. Sun-dried tomatoes
2 T. Olive Oil
1/2 C. Panko bread crumbs
1/2 C. Parmesan
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
2 T. Parmesan
3 T. Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sauté garlic in 1 T. olive oil in large pan over medium heat until slightly browned, stirring often – about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Blend garlic, panko bread crumbs, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, salt, red pepper flakes, oregano, and 1 T. olive oil until small bits remain, scraping down sides as needed.
- Next add beans and blend until a dough is formed, scraping down sides as needed. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Scoop out rounded 1 T. amounts of dough and gently roll into balls – about 15 total. Then roll in additional Parmesan cheese-panko bread crumb mixture to coat.
- Heat pan over medium heat. Once hot, add enough olive oil to form a thin layer on the bottom of the pan, then add meatballs so the pan is not too crowded.
- Brown for about 5 minutes, shaking the pan to roll them around to cook all sides.
- Add sautéed meatballs to a bare baking sheet and transfer to oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Once meatballs are golden brown and fairly firm to the touch, remove from oven. Let cool briefly before serving. They will firm up the longer they cool.
- Serve with pasta or freeze for later
Cam’s Spicy White Bean Chili
1 lg. yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
1 lg. Onion, chopped
3 cloves of Garlic, minced
32 oz. Vegetable Broth
2 cans Essential Everyday Navy Beans
4 oz. can of Green Chilis
1 T. Chili Powder
2 1/2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. Paprika
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp Cayenne
1 Jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1 C. White Sweet Corn
1 C. Half n’ Half (*Or make it vegan with dairy-free sour cream)
- Add 2-3 T. of water to a large pot and heat over medium heat untim shimmering. Add peppers, onion, and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding extra water if needed.
- Add remaining ingredients, except the half n’ half and corn, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover, continue to cook for about 40 minutes.
- Stir in corn and half n’ half. The up the heat to medium and cook until heated through. Top with fresh cilantro and serve.
Jean’s Strone Zone: Minestrone Soup
1 can Essential Everyday Navy Beans
1/4 C. Olive Oil
1 lg. Onion, finely chopped
2 Carrots, peeled and finely chopped
4 Garlic cloves, chopped
5 Thyme sprigs
1 Bay Leaf
3 C. Water
1 Leek, diced
1 Zucchini, diced
2 Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 package La Moderna pasta
- Heat the olive oil over med. heat. Add carrot and onion, cook until onion is translucent. Add garlic, thyme, and bay leaf. Reduce to med-low and simmer for 5min.
- Add water and bring to a low boil. Add the leek, and after 5min add the zucchini and tomatoes. After 10min add the pasta and cook for another 5-10min. Add beans.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat, and enjoy!
$3 Dinner Kale Sausage Stew
1 can Essential Everyday Navy Beans
Carrots, peeled and finely chopped
1 can Diced Tomatoes
Onions, finely chopped
- Cook off meats and drain grease.
- Add tomatoes and broth.Combine all other vegetables and spices.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the potatoes are done.
- For vegan recipe, substitute meats with kidney beans, lima beans, and chopped green beans.
Zac’s Stewed Beer Beans
1 can Essential Everyday Black Beans
1 can light beer
1 T Butter
1/2 Onion, chopped
2 Jalapenos, seeded and chopped
2 Garlic cloves, peeled
1 tsp. Chili powder
1 tsp. Cumin
1 Lime, juiced
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the vegetables and garlic in the butter in a small pot until they soften.
- Add the beans, beer, and lime juice. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on medium-low for about 20min. You want the beans to still be a little liquidy-looking when they’re done, because they are going to thicken up.
- Season with salt and pepper, remove whole garlic cloves. Garnish with crumbled queso fresco and chopped scallions if desired.
*Owners receive one FREE can of Essential Everyday Navy or Black Beans every time they shop at the Co-op for the month of August 2019.