|Greetings DCM Owners:
Get on Board! Durham Co-op Market will hold elections for three (3) consumer-owner seats on the Board of Directors this year in the weeks surrounding the Annual Meeting on November 4, 2018. We encourage all active DCM consumer-owners committed to furthering the mission and success of DCM to run for election. Please review the candidate requirements carefully to ensure you’re able to fulfill board member expectations.
Board Member Requirements
- An active DCM consumer-owner in good standing.
- Able to prepare for and attend regularly scheduled board meetings (2nd Wednesday of every month), serve on committees as needed, and attend off-site retreats and store events. The time commitment ranges from 6 to 12 hours a month.
- Willing to represent the interests of the co-op membership and demonstrate familiarity with or willingness to learn more about business financials, co-op grocery models and start-ups.
- Make a 3-year commitment to the board (Board members can serve a maximum of three consecutive 3-year terms).
- Demonstrate a passion for Durham, DCM, cooperative businesses and/or local and sustainable foods.
- Willing to sign a conflict of interest disclosure form.
Benefits of Being a DCM Board Member
- Build leadership and decision-making skills as part of a growth-focused, community-minded organization.
- Receive training on the role of boards, cooperative principles and policy governance.
- Play a part in the growth of sustainable, local food systems in Durham.
- Receive a 15% discount on all in-store DCM purchases.
About the Board
DCM currently serves over 4,300 consumer-owners and around 20 worker-owners. The Board of Directors consists of nine (9) consumer-owners and two (2) worker-owners. The role of the Board of Directors is to represent the interests of our members by setting policies that direct the long-term viability of the store. The DCM General Manager is charged with day-to-day operations of the store along with our department heads and staff. The Board of Directors operates according to Policy Governance (www.policygovernance.com), which outlines our vision and goals as a store and policies for achieving those goals.
If you are interested in running for the Board, please submit a complete response to the application questions below, along with your full name and owner number, to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, October 1, 2018. All owners will be able to vote in the store prior to and during the Annual Meeting.
Durham Co-op Market Board of Director Application
The steps for running for the Durham Co-op Market Board of Directors include:
Submit a Candidate Statement
Your candidate statement should cover the following questions in paragraph form. Your response will be published as your Candidate Statement on the DCM election ballot, and will be your opportunity to share your story with the ownership. Please limit your response to two paragraphs, 500 words max.
- Why do you want to serve on the Durham Co-op Market Board of Directors?
- What skills, experience or training do you bring to the Board?
- What experience do you have with cooperatives, grocery stores, financing, construction or business operations?
- What else would you like the DCM members to know about you?
Complete at least one of the following to learn more about serving on the board
- Attend a board meeting;
- Meet with a board member in person;
- Come hang out with us and ask questions about what it means to be a board member during Neighbor Day at the co-op on Sunday, September 9th.
- Contact email@example.com to attend a board meeting or arrange a meeting with a current member.Please reach out if you have questions or would like to talk to a board member before applying.
Candidates are strongly encouraged to attend at least one board meeting prior to the election. All meetings take place 7-9pm at the Community Family Life & Recreation Center located at 1309 Halley Street:
- Wednesday, September 12th
- Wednesday, October 10th
Attend the Annual Owner Meeting on Sunday, November 4th to introduce yourself to the DCM community. You will have the chance to speak to and take questions from the ownership.
All applications and questions about running for the Board should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for all applications is October 1, 2018. Voting will take place October 22- November 8.
Thank you for your support of the Durham Co-op Market