Board Election 2017
Greetings DCM Owners:
Durham Co-op Market will hold annual elections for the Board of Directors prior to and during the DCM Annual Meeting on Sunday, November 5th 2017. This year, DCM will be filling three (3) consumer-owner seats on the Board. All candidates running for election on the board must be a DCM consumer-owner in good standing. We encourage all interested individuals committed to furthering the mission and success of DCM to run for election. The Boardstrives to represent the diverse consumer-owner and worker-owner community we serve. Please review the candidate requirements carefully to ensure you’re able to fulfill board member expectations.
DCM currently serves 3,600 member-owners and 20 worker-owners. The Board of Directors consists of nine (9) member-owners and two (2) worker-owners. The role of the Board of Directors is to represent the interests of our members by setting policies that direct the long-term viability of the store. The DCM General Manager, Leila Wolfrum, is charged with day-to-day operations of the store along with our department heads and staff. The Boardof Directors operates according to Policy Governance (www.policygovernance.com), which outlines our vision and goals as a store and policies for achieving those goals.
Board Member Requirements:
- Represent the interests of the co-op membership and demonstrate a passion for Durham, DCM, cooperative businesses and/or local and sustainable foods.
- Prepare for and attend regularly scheduled board meetings (2nd Wednesday of every month), serve on committees as needed, and attend off-site retreats and store events. The time commitment ranges from 6 to 12 hours a month.
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn more about business financials, co-op grocery models and start-ups.
- Willingness to take responsibility for board duties and work together with understanding, mutual respect and support.
- Willingness to make a three-year commitment to the board (Boardmembers can serve a maximum of three consecutive terms).
- Willingness to sign a conflict of interest disclosure form.
Benefits of Being a DCM Board Member:
- Build leadership and decision-making skills as part of a community-minded organization.
- Receive training on the role of boards, cooperative principles and policy governance.
- Play a part in the growth of sustainable, local food systems in Durham.
- Receive a 15% discount on all in-store DCM purchases.
If you are interested in running for the Board, please submit a complete application packet to email@example.com by September 25th, 2017. All owners will be able to vote in the store prior to the Annual Meeting. Thank you for your support of the Durham Co-op Market.
Durham Co-op Market Board of Director Application:
The steps for running for the Durham Co-op Market Board of Directors include:
- Submit a Candidate Statement and Conflict of Interest Disclosure Form (to be provided). Your responses to the following questions will be published as your Candidate Statement on the DCM election ballot. Please limit your response to 150 characters (~75 words) per question.
- Why do you want to serve on the Durham Co-op Market Board of Directors?
- What skills, experience or training do you bring to the Board?
- What experience do you have with cooperatives, grocery stores, financing, construction or business operations?
- What else would you like the DCM members to know about you?
- Complete at least one of the following to learn more about serving on the board:
- Attend a board meeting;
- Meet with a board member in person; OR
- Attend an information session (dates TBD, please stay tuned via DCM bi-weekly e-mails and our Facebook page). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to attend a board meeting or arrange a meeting with a current member.
Candidates are strongly encouraged to attend at least one upcoming boardmeeting prior to the election. All meetings take place 7-9pm at the Community Family Life & Recreation Center located at 1309 Halley Street:
- Wednesday, August 9th
- Wednesday, September 13th
- Wednesday, October 11th
If you are unable to attend a board meeting, candidates should either meet with a board member in person or attend an information session (dates TBD).
- Attend the Annual Owner Meeting on Sunday, November 5th to introduce yourself to the DCM community.
All applications and questions about running for the Board should be submitted to email@example.com. The deadline for all applications is September 25th, 2017. In store voting will take place 2 weeks prior to the Annual Meeting on Sunday, November 5th.
Thank you for your interest in serving on the Board of the Durham Co-op Market!