Community Outreach Specialist
Durham Co-op Market is a cooperatively-owned grocery store on West Chapel Hill Street in Durham, NC. The co-op is open to all shoppers, and offers local, organic, and natural food and other products. DCM reinvests profits back into the community, practices sustainability, and fosters a positive, respectful workplace. We are built by Durham and dedicated to serving Durham.
Community Outreach Specialist
Job Summary: Responsible for the coordination and support of educational and outreach programs for the Durham Co-op Market and surrounding community. This position will work closely with the Marketing Associate and the General Manager to educate the Durham community about the products we sell and their impact on the economy, personal wellness, and the environment. This includes strengthening existing community partnerships, building new ones, generating written content for related web and social media marketing, and other supportive functions for the marketing team. The best fit for this job will share our dedication to environmental sustainability and social equity while upholding our mission and vision policies.
Status: Full-time, hourly with benefits
Reports to: General Manager
The Community Outreach Specialist will work in tandem with the Marketing Associate to promote the co-op in numerous ways to be determined by current need. Some examples of tasks are listed below.
- Plan community outreach programs, including programming in schools and with nonprofit organizations.
- Act as a liaison with community organizations, as directed by General Manager.
- Research and recommend community outreach opportunities, specifically in the Durham community.
- Represent the Co-op at community events, including in-house and off-site promotions and special projects.
- Assist in the design, promotion, and implementation of store tours.
- Coordinate response to requests for public speaking on cooperatives, natural foods, nutrition, sustainable agriculture and other subjects consistent with the Co-op’s mission and purpose.
- Write content about community events, local vendor profiles, and educational topics to promote in all media.
- Provide outstanding customer service; ensure customer needs are met in a timely fashion.
- Provide administrative support to the Marketing Associate and department as needed.
- Work with departments to assist with marketing projects, including in-store and off-site events.
- Coordinate and participate in special in-store, outreach and owner events.
- Contribute to the success of the Durham Co-op Market in its engagement and outreach efforts.
- Represent the Durham Co-op Market, when required, at internal and external events, including planning, set-up and tear-down/clean-up.
- Attend department meetings and/or huddles as requested.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- High energy, enthusiastic, and displays an affinity for our products, core values and company philosophy.
- Ability to understand and convey to others the differentiating factors about our products.
- Good communication skills.
- Basic proficiency with computer applications and programs including email, Microsoft Office, and operations related applications.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays as needed.
Durham Co-op Market is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce. We look for team members who have a high level of demonstrated comfort with cultural competency. People of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and members of other historically marginalized or hard-to-employ communities are encouraged to apply. All applicants will be considered without regards to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, sex, marital or parental status, disability, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis prohibited by law.
To learn more about Durham Co-op Market visit durham.coop.
Interested applicants, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.