Produce Clerk – Part-time
Produce Clerk – Part-time
Purpose: To provide an excellent customer experience to all in the Durham Co-op Market community. To keep produce displays full, fresh, and attractive and keep the produce department clean and safe. To be an excellent team member
Status: Part time, hourly position.
Reports to: Produce Manager
I. Customer Service
- Offer consistent, fair, and respectful customer interactions to ensure repeat customer traffic.
- Offer suggestions to customers on produce selection and usage.
- Understand and communicate the value of the co-op, and the particulars of ownership to customers.
- Provide product information and educational materials to customers when appropriate.
II. Product Handling
Follow department procedures for opening and closing shifts.
- Maintain produce displays according to standards set by the department manager.
- Keep displays fully rotated and culled.
- Follow established procedures for receiving product, ensure deliveries are properly checked it.
- Properly prep and store or stock produce with regards to freshness and perishability.
- Ensure shelf tags are complete and up to date and promotional signage is timely and accurate.
- Ensure that signage is present and kept neat. Communicate missing signage needs to department manager or fix signage issues as necessary.
III. Department Operations and Safety
- Follow established procedures on safety and cleanliness as set out by the department manager. Take responsibility for produce work spaces. Keep them clean and safe for yourself, your co-workers, and for customers.
- Follow daily priorities and sub-department performance goals to ensure productive work flow. Provide feedback and suggestions on daily priorities to the department manager.
- Participate in department wide cleanings and inventories, when scheduled.
IV. Professionalism & Team Work
- Participate in ongoing staff development and education. Improve knowledge and skills within department, and learn new skills in other departments.
- Communicate clearly and intentionally within the department and between departments.
- Treat all co-workers with respect.
- Attend department and store-wide meetings and assist in other departments as needed.
- Commitment to superior customer service and to providing the highest quality shopping experience possible
- Experience in a retail environment. Produce and natural foods experience preferred but not required.
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment where teamwork and constant communication are essential.
- Ability to lift up to 50# on a regular basis, and tolerance for cold environments.
- Ability to follow through on assigned tasks.
- Attention to detail, and ability to stay task focused in a dynamic work environment.
Durham Co-op Market is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce.
People of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and members of other historically marginalized or hard-to-employ communities are encouraged to apply.
All applicants will be considered without regards to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, sex, marital or parental status, disability, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis prohibited by law.
If you are interested in applying for a job, please fill out an application and submit it by email (hr(at)durham.coop) or mail it to Durham Co-op Market, 1111 W. Chapel Hill St., Durham, NC 27701, Attn: Human Resources.