Status: Full Time Position (30-35 hours/week), non-exempt hourly position. Must be available Tuesday and Wednesday evenings and weekends.
Objective: To provide excellent customer service, maintain the Specialty Department, and assist the Specialty Coordinator with purchasing and receiving.
Reports to: Specialty Coordinator
- Offer consistent and respectful customer interactions to all DCM shoppers.
- Assist customers with cheese selection and share knowledge of products
- Initiate suggestive selling and sampling of product
- Assist and support vendors with in store demos and tastings
- Prepare cheese plates for Tuesday and Wednesday night wine and beer tastings
CLEANING AND ORGANIZATION
- Weigh, label, and package product and complete food preparation in a timely manner.
- Merchandise displays attractively and rotate product per quality and First In First out (FIFO) standards.
- Follow health, safety and sanitation guidelines for all products
- Clean work station thoroughly
- Maintain clean and orderly appearance of Specialty Department through regular cleaning, dusting, and straightening of product and shelves
RECEIVING, STOCKING, AND ORDERING PRODUCT
- Assist in processing and replenishing merchandise
- Receive and stock orders according to established procedures
- Maintain awareness of back stock status and movs product to the sales floor whenever necessary
- Promptly inform Specialty Coordinator when quantities and supplies are low
- Keep department as neat and orderly as possible while stocking
- Build familiarity and connections with vendors, and train to learn ordering procedures
- Attend training opportunities related to Specialty Department (tastings, tradeshows, etc.)
- Communicate regularly with Specialty Coordinator any problems or relevant information
- Participate in product trainings and product info meetings
- Explain Co-op membership system simply, efficiently and completely
- Knows and follows Co-op work policies and procedures
- Participate in team, staff, and other meetings as needed
- Understand and communicate the value of the co-op, and the particulars of ownership to customers and staff. Work to advance the mission of Durham Co-op Market through outstanding service.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Specialty Coordinator or Deli Manager.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Commitment to superior customer service and to providing the highest quality shopping experience possible
- Passion for cheese and other specialty products and a strong desire to learn
- Attention to Detail – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Customer Service – Responds promptly to customer needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Respect for All People – Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time.
- Physical Demands -Demonstrated ability to remain stationary for long periods and move about the inside and outside of the store; Ability to maintain work area . The employee must regularly move up to 25 pounds, and frequently move up to 50 pounds. Person in this position frequently communicates with customers and other staff; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Ability to adhere to store safety policies.
- Desired experience, but not required:
- Cheese knowledge
- Understanding of cooperative business model
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Durham Co-op Market is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce.
People of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and members of other historically marginalized or hard-to-employ communities are encouraged to apply.
All applicants will be considered without regards to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, sex, marital or parental status, disability, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis prohibited by law.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please fill out an application and submit it by email (hr(at)durham.coop) or mail it to Durham Co-op Market, 1111 W. Chapel Hill St., Durham, NC 27701, Attn: Human Resources.