Deli Counter Clerk
Objective: To brew coffee and set up self-serve beverage station by the time the store opens daily. To prepare daily grab & go sandwiches, made to order sandwiches, espresso drinks, smoothies, and to slice meats and cheeses to order in an efficient and friendly manner.
Status: Part-time to Full-time hourly positions
Reports to: Deli Counter Supervisor
- Customer Service:
- Offer consistent, fair and respectful customer interactions to ensure repeat customer traffic.
- Provide product information and educational materials to customers and staff.
- Understand and communicate the value of the co-op, and the particulars of ownership to customers and staff. Work to advance the mission of Durham Co-op Market through outstanding service.
- Food Preparation:
- Prepare sandwiches for grab & go cooler.
- Prepare made to order sandwiches, salads, espresso drinks in an efficient and accurate manner.
- Prep and stock ingredients for sandwich station and for point-of-purchase deli meats and cheeses.
- Be sure proper signage is used to label all food, and if not available, notify Deli Counter Supervisor.
- Cooperate with other departments to reduce overall store waste by using excess coffee and produce when necessary.
- Inventory and place orders as assigned by supervisor.
- Receive and put away orders, following first in first out rotation, when assigned by Deli Counter Supervisor.
- Department Maintenance:
- Maintain department equipment in good working order by following cleaning schedules and maintenance procedures provided by Deli Counter Supervisor.
- Advise Deli Counter Supervisor of equipment repair and replacement needs.
- Ensure food prep and display areas are maintained in sanitary, orderly condition meeting or exceeding ServSafe standards.
- Ensure proper storage and labeling of food following established procedures.
- Other Responsibilities:
- Perform other tasks assigned by Deli Manager or Deli Counter Supervisor.
- Attend department and storewide staff meetings, including the Bullpen. Assist in meeting sales, margin, and labor goals for department.
- Arrive at work allowing enough time to clock-in at the assigned time and be on the floor ready to begin work.
- Keep supervisor informed of any problems or ideas.
- Know and follow store policies and procedures.
- Commitment to superior customer service and to providing the highest quality shopping experience possible
- Experience in a retail environment. Experience in coffee service, sandwich making and cash register preferred but not required.
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment where teamwork and constant communication are essential.
- Attention to detail, and ability to stay task focused in a dynamic work environment.
Durham Co-op Market is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce. People of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and members of other historically marginalized or hard-to-employ communities are encouraged to apply.
All applicants will be considered without regards to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, sex, marital or parental status, disability, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis prohibited by law.
If you are interested in applying for a job, please fill out an application and submit it by email (hr(at)durham.coop) or mail it to Durham Co-op Market, 1111 W. Chapel Hill St., Durham, NC 27701, Attn: Human Resources.