Purpose: To provide an excellent customer experience to all in the Durham Co-op Market community. To keep produce displays full, fresh, and attractive and keep the produce department clean and safe. To be an excellent team member
Status:Full time or Part time, hourly position.
Reports to: Grocery Manager
- Customer Service
- Offer consistent, fair, and respectful customer interactions to ensure repeat customer traffic.
- Offer suggestions to customers on produce selection and usage.
- Understand and communicate the value of the co-op, and the particulars of ownership to customers.
- Provide product information and educational materials to customers when appropriate.
- Respond promptly to customer needs or requests for service/assistance and satisfy these commitments.
- Product Handling
- Set up displays and stock shelves, coolers, bins, tables, freezers, containers, etc, with store merchandise.
- Build displays, rearrange product, hang signage and price tags as assigned by the Grocery Manager
- Stay current with delivery schedules and ensure the receiving area is prepared for incoming deliveries.
- Organize and maintain an acceptable level of back stock and keep product rotated based on expiration dates.
- Alert Grocery Manager of defective product and help identify items to be re-ordered.
- Order product to refill shelves as assigned by Grocery Department Manager.
- Department Operations & Safety
- Help maintain high level of cleanliness and order throughout department.
- Follow established procedures on safety and cleanliness as set out by the department manager. Take responsibility for produce work spaces. Keep them clean and safe for yourself, your co-workers, and for customers.
- Follow daily priorities and sub-department performance goals to ensure productive work flow. Provide feedback and suggestions on daily priorities to the department manager.
- Participate in department wide cleanings and inventories, when scheduled.
- Other Responsibilities
- Participate in ongoing staff development and education. Improve knowledge and skills within department, and learn new skills in other departments.
- Communicate clearly and intentionally within the department and between departments.
- Treat all co-workers with respect.
- Perform other tasks assigned by Grocery Manager.
- Attend department and storewide staff meetings, including the Bullpen. Assist in meeting sales, margin, and labor goals for department.
- Arrive at work allowing enough time to clock-in at the assigned time and be on the floor ready to begin work.
- Keep supervisor informed of any problems or ideas.
- Know and follow store policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Commitment to superior customer service and to providing the highest quality shopping experience possible
- Experience in a retail environment. Experience in coffee service, sandwich making and cash register preferred but not required.
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment where teamwork and constant communication are essential.
- Attention to detail, and ability to stay task focused in a dynamic work environment.
Language Skills – Ability to comprehend simple written instructions, short correspondence, and memos in English.
Math Skills – Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s.
Physical Demands – – Demonstrated ability to remain upright for long periods and move about the inside and outside of the store; Ability to maintain work area. Person in this position frequently communicates with customers and other staff; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations. The employee must regularly move up to 25 pounds, frequently move up to 50 pounds. and tolerate cold environments. Ability to adhere to store safety policies.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Promoting at all times mutual respect for customers and staff.
The employee must be available to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
Durham Co-op Market is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce.
People of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and members of other historically marginalized or hard-to-employ communities are encouraged to apply.
All applicants will be considered without regards to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, sex, marital or parental status, disability, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis prohibited by law.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please fill out an application and submit it by email (hr(at)durham.coop) or mail it to Durham Co-op Market, 1111 W. Chapel Hill St., Durham, NC 27701, Attn: Human Resources.