The Co-op is seeking Grocery Clerk for 30-35 hours/week. The position requires mid shift and closing shift availability. The earliest shift will start at 11:00 AM and end at 7:30 PM and the later shift will start at 1:00 PM and end at 9:30 pm.
Purpose: To provide excellent customer service to all Durham Co-op Market shoppers. To keep grocery shelves and displays full and attractive. To keep the Grocery Department clean and safe. To be an excellent team-mate.
Status:Full time or Part time, hourly position.
Reports to: Grocery Manager
Excellence in customer service is our primary goal. No other task should ever come before serving our customers.
- Customer Service
- Become familiar with grocery/dairy/bulk products and maintain the ability to discuss these products with customers.
- Offer consistent, fair, and respectful customer interactions to ensure repeat customer traffic.
- Offer efficient, informative, and friendly service according to established customer service vision and standards.
- Understand and communicate the value of the co-op, and the particulars of ownership to customers. Work to advance the mission of Durham Co-op Market through outstanding service.
- Provide product information and educational materials to customers when appropriate.
- Respond promptly to customer needs or requests for service/assistance and satisfy these commitments.
- Product Handling
- Set up displays and stock shelves, coolers, bins, tables, freezers, containers, etc, with store merchandise.
- Build displays, rearrange product, hang signage and price tags as assigned by the Grocery Manager
- Stay current with delivery schedules and ensure the receiving area is prepared for incoming deliveries.
- Organize and maintain an acceptable level of back stock and keep product rotated based on expiration dates.
- Alert Grocery Manager of defective product and help identify items to be re-ordered.
- Department Operations & Safety
- Help maintain high level of cleanliness and order throughout department.
- Follow established procedures on safety and cleanliness as set out by the department manager. Take responsibility for produce work spaces. Keep them clean and safe for yourself, your co-workers, and for customers.
- Follow daily priorities and sub-department performance goals to ensure productive work flow. Provide feedback and suggestions on daily priorities to the department manager.
- Participate in department wide cleanings and inventories, when scheduled.
- Professionalism & Teamwork
- Consistently at work and on time for scheduled shifts.
- Manage time productively, demonstrate a commitment to accuracy and an ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Balance team and individual responsibilities and contribute to building a positive working environment.
- Participate in ongoing staff development and education. Improve knowledge and skills within department, and learn new skills in other departments.
- Communicate clearly and intentionally within the department and between departments.
- Treat all co-workers with respect.
- Assist in other departments as needed.
- Attend department and store-wide meetings.
- Perform other tasks as requested by the Grocery Manager, Manager on Duty, or General Manager
- Commitment to superior customer service and to providing the highest quality shopping experience possible
- Experience in a retail environment. Grocery Department and natural foods experience preferred but not required.
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment where teamwork and constant communication are essential.
- Demonstrated ability to lift up to 50# on a regular basis, and frequently stand, walk, climb, balance, kneel, and reach with hands and arms throughout the work day.
- Demonstrated ability to follow through on assigned tasks.
- Attention to detail, and ability to stay task focused in a dynamic work environment.