Durham Co-op Market (DCM)
Durham Co-op Market is a cooperatively-owned grocery store on West Chapel Hill Street in Durham, NC. The co-op is open to all shoppers, and offers local, organic, and natural food and other products. DCM reinvests profits back into the community, practices sustainability, and fosters a positive, respectful workplace. We are built by Durham and dedicated to serving Durham.
Purpose: To provide excellent customer service to all Durham Co-op Market shoppers. To keep produce displays full, fresh, and attractive. To keep the produce department clean and safe. To be an excellent team-mate.
Status: Part time, hourly position.
Reports to: Produce Manager
Excellence in customer service is our primary goal. No other task should ever come before serving our customers.
- Customer Service
- Offer consistent, fair, and respectful customer interactions to ensure repeat customer traffic.
- Offer efficient, informative, and friendly service according to established customer service vision and standards.
- Offer suggestions to customers on produce selection and usage.
- Understand and communicate the value of the co-op, and the particulars of ownership to customers. Work to advance the mission of Durham Co-op Market through outstanding service.
- Provide product information and educational materials to customers when appropriate.
- Product Handling
- Follow department procedures for opening and closing shifts.
- Maintain produce displays according to standards set by the department manager.
- Keep displays fully rotated and culled.
- Follow established procedures for receiving product, ensure deliveries are properly checked it.
- Properly prep and store or stock produce with regards to freshness and perishability.
- Ensure shelf tags are complete and up to date and promotional signage is timely and accurate.
- Ensure that signage is present and kept neat. Communicate missing signage needs to department manager or fix signage issues as necessary.
- Department Operations and Safety
- Follow established procedures on safety and cleanliness as set out by the department manager. Take responsibility for produce work spaces. Keep them clean and safe for yourself, your co-workers, and for customers.
- Follow daily priorities and sub-department performance goals to ensure productive work flow. Provide feedback and suggestions on daily priorities to the department manager.
- Participate in department wide cleanings and inventories, when scheduled.
- Professionalism & Team Work
- Participate in ongoing staff development and education. Improve knowledge and skills within department, and learn new skills in other departments.
- Communicate clearly and intentionally within the department and between departments.
- Treat all co-workers with respect.
- Assist in other departments as needed.
- Attend department and store-wide meetings.
- Commitment to superior customer service and to providing the highest quality shopping experience possible
- Experience in a retail environment. Produce and natural foods experience preferred but not required.
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment where teamwork and constant communication are essential.
- Ability to lift up to 50# on a regular basis, and tolerance for cold environments.
- Ability to follow through on assigned tasks.
- Attention to detail, and ability to stay task focused in a dynamic work environment.