Please send a resume or completed application to email@example.com
Produce & Meat Manager
Objective: Teamwork is the key to success at the Co-op, where our managers and front-line staff work together to provide the best customer service and the highest product quality possible. The Produce Manager acts as a role-model and team-leader to ensure attractive, organized and smoothly run produce and meat department; to motivate and provide produce staff with the tools required to ensure the highest level of service possible to our shoppers; and to meet departmental goals for sales and sales growth, margin, and labor.
Status: Full time hourly position.
Reports to: Operations Manager.
Supervises: Produce department staff.
Excellence in customer service is our primary goal. No other task should ever come before serving our customers.
- Ensure efficient and friendly service from all produce staff according to established customer service vision and standards.
- Ensure that all produce staff receive proper orientation and initial training.
- Provide product information and educational materials to customers and staff.
- Understand and communicate the ‘cooperative advantage’, and particulars of membership to shoppers and staff alike. Work to advance the overall mission of Durham Co-op Market through outstanding service.
Ordering and Pricing
- Purchase produce considering store goals for local product, organic product, and using co-op suppliers.
- Ensure adequate supply and selection of products keeping out-of-stocks to a minimum.
- Receive and process orders. Check product condition and invoice accuracy on all deliveries. Ensure correct product rotation.
- Ensure accurate up-to-date price labeling and PLU records for department items.
Department Operations and Safety
- Ensure that the department is in a clean, orderly, and well-maintained condition.
- See that un-sellable items are properly disposed.
- Ensure produce staff are aware of and comply with all safety rules.
- Set daily priorities for staff to ensure productive work flow.
- Coordinate monthly inventory of produce items.
- Hire, train, schedule, instruct, and discipline department staff according to weekly labor budget and in accordance with all personnel policies.
- Conduct evaluations of produce staff in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Ensure displays and shelves are beautifully stocked with fresh, attractive product
- Ensure proper shelf tags and sale signs are on shelves and displays
- Set quality standards for culling produce.
Budgeting and Planning
- Attend weekly management team meetings and quarterly management training retreats.
- Work with operations manager to establish goals for margin, labor, sales, and inventory.
- Work with operations manager to develop annual operating budget, sales projections, capitol budget, and equipment needs.
- Develop annual labor budget according to established productivity, labor, and cost goals.
- Experience with produce retail, wholesale, or commercial growing.
- Knowledge of organic and commercial growing practices and organic certification regulations.
- Knowledge of natural foods and natural foods industry.
- Proven ability to develop and implement budgets and to adhere to cost and margin requirements.
- Ability to manage and motivate staff.
- Ability to plan, develop, implement and assess systems to provide for efficient and productive operations.
- Previous experience with ordering, pricing, and inventory control.
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment where teamwork and constant communication is essential.
- Commitment to superior customer service and to provide the highest quality shopping experience possible.
- Displayed ability to lift 50#.
- Regular predictable attendance.
- Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments.